Disc herniations can go undetected for long periods and worsen over time or come on strong from the start, depending upon severity and location. The injury can cause many issues, disrupting everything from working at a desk to exercising to sleeping.
The spine is important to many of our everyday movements. It helps provide stability and balance, so if you start to feel discomfort in your back and along your spine, you should seek chiropractic care as soon as possible.
Chiropractors can help heal the spine and disc herniation using natural methods that get effective results.
In this post, we answer:
- What is a disc herniation?
- What are the symptoms of disc herniations?
- How do you get herniated discs?
- Can chiropractic care treat a herniated disc?
- And more
If you’re experiencing pain or motion loss and think it may be due to a herniated disc, read on to learn all about herniations and how to get back to full function with chiropractic.
What is a Disc Herniation?
Your spine starts in the tailbone and travels up to the base of the skull. It’s comprised of several vertebrae (bones) stacked on top of each other, each separated by a disc. The discs give the spine flexibility; they have a hard shell that protects its soft, gel-like center.
When pressure is applied to a disc, typically related to inflammation or imbalances within the surrounding soft tissues, the center of the disc can push through its shell, creating disc herniation.
Common symptoms of disc herniation include:
- Back pain
- Mobility and flexibility loss in the back
- Neck pain and neck stiffness
- Hip pain and hip stiffness
- Radiating pain, such as pain that starts in the neck and moves into the shoulders
- Inability to bend or twist comfortably
- Back or neck pain while at rest
When disc herniations go untreated, they can cause more pain and contribute to further injury, so you should listen to your body and get it the support it needs to function correctly.
Conditions and circumstances related to disc herniation include:
- Scar tissue
- Inflammation, sprains, and strains of tissues surrounding the spine
- Whiplash and car accidents
- Sports injury and sports accidents
- Degenerative disc disease
Your Bluffdage chiropractor can aid you in avoiding further injury or re-injury by safely helping the spine find its natural position and function.
Is My Disc Herniated?
A disc herniation can affect anyone, whether you sit at a desk all day, work out regularly, have been in an accident, or all three.
Common reasons you may experience a disc herniation include:
- A traumatic accident that affects the back, neck, and spine, such as a slip and fall
- Overuse of targeted areas that apply pressure to the spine
- Consistent poor posture
- Utilizing poor lifting techniques
- Improper habitual movement patterns
- A chronic injury
- A surgery that didn’t heal well
- And others
Partnering with an experienced chiropractor, you’ll receive in-clinic solutions for your herniation, as well as take-home guidance regarding everything from posture, movement patterns, exercise, lifestyle, and more.
Visit Our Bluffdale Pilates & Chiropractic Clinic for a Healthy Spine
Our chiropractic team will create a unique wellness plan that helps your spine heal quickly and will give you guidance to keep your body protected going forward.
From strengthening exercises that concentrate on the core to help keep your back and spine safe to re-educating your body on proper movement patterns, you will get comprehensive services that contribute to your overall good health.
Our Bluffdale chiropractic and pilates clinic offers several services to nurture the body’s natural healing process, getting your spine strong, healthy, and restored.
The spine services and remedies we offer include:
- Chiropractic adjustments that restore function to affected areas
- Sports therapy for athletes who put their bodies through extensive rigors
- Movement screenings that tell us where dysfunctions are
- Fascial Distortion Model (FDM) treats dysfunction in the soft tissues that can affect the spine and spinal discs
- Rehab exercises that help with a fast and safe recovery process
- Pilates classes to enhance strength and flexibility for a well-functioning and protected spine
- Massage therapies to encourage circulation and relaxation as pressure and tension are decreased
- And more
Chiropractic solutions, pilates, and massage therapy are reliable and have been shown to be safe and effective for treating herniated discs. We will never adhere to a one-size-fits-all approach to care but discuss each patient’s medical history, pains, habits, lifestyles, and more to create the optimal plan.
Don’t let your herniated disc get in the way of your everyday routine. We’ll design the best wellness strategy for you, helping to heal your spine and giving you the tools to keep it strong and healthy. Contact us today so we can get started!